In late 1979 at the age of 11, I bought my first Pink Floyd record. It was the 7" single "Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2". The record was a huge hit in the United States, reaching number one on Billboard's Hot 100. It was all over the radio and I had to buy a copy to play at home. The song was pulled from the band's album released that same year called The Wall, band leader Roger Waters' semi-autobiographical tale of his journey from fatherless child (his father was killed in World War II) to international rock star and what the journey had done to him.
I had no idea who Pink Floyd was. No clue. I didn't know about their place in rock history or any of their songs or albums. I couldn't have told you if it was one person (which one's Pink?) or a band. I didn't even know they were British until kids asked me (as a recent immigrant to the United States from England) to say or sing "we don't need no education" while I was at school. Completely oblivious.
I would eventually figure it out. When I was a freshman in college, I watched director Alan Parker's 1982 film adaptation of The Wall album and I was hooked. I'd never seen anything like that movie and I'd never heard anything like the music that was in the film. I got the album on CD for Christmas in 1986, put it on cassette tape and listened to it over and over and over again. And I do mean that. I was relentless. I drove my freshman year roommate crazy with that album.
That last part was OK. He drove me crazy with other things.
One of my favorite Floyd albums was Animals, a five song concept album with a 17-minute long song called "Dogs" on side one. "Sheep" and "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" graced side two to extend the mammalian theme of the album title. The cover art of Animals featured a giant inflatable pig floating above a large brick building with four tall white chimneys.
That pig was a source of fascination, and the stories about it intrigued me. Apparently, the band brought the pig on tour with them and had it floating around the arenas they played. In the late 1980s, all we could do was read second-hand accounts in books or magazines. There was no internet or treasure trove of pics or videos at fingertip access. The accounts of that pig amounted to something akin to myths or legends. It all added to the mystery about the band. Eventually, I'd see a facsimile of that pig at Roger Waters concerts. I loved it all. All of it. I still love Pink Floyd to this day.
![]() |
| An updated version of the inflatable pig (top left) from Roger Waters' 2022 concert in Washington, DC. |
What that re-development means for the actual Power Station today is that it's a giant shopping mall. I'm serious. But it's a pretty darned handsome shopping mall.
I'm serious. The exterior shell is intact. The interior art deco detailing that graced the interior spaces in the building are still there in all their glory. And those four tall white chimneys are standing magnificently against the skyline of London. They were actually torn down and re-built starting in 2014, so it's probably a good thing I didn't try to visit Battersea that year.
The program of the mall is centered around the two old turbine halls in the building, multi-story spaces with glass skylights running down the entire length of the halls. They even left the old trussed bridge cranes in place as a tribute to the former function of the building. Those spaces, but particularly the west hall, are spectacular.
We did not shop. Although we did go to Starbucks.
When they reprogrammed, repurposed, rebuilt and everything else "re" about the building that they did to it over the last 15 years or so, they added something called The Chimney Lift to the building. They took the northwest chimney and made it into a giant elevator (lift in England) that you can ride to the top of in a custom-built mostly glass enclosure.
THAT is why we had to get inside of the Battersea Power Station on this visit. So sure, the Floyd thing was super important (and we WILL come back to that) and yes, the architecture of the Power Station is just amazing from a number of perspectives but mostly that they would spend this much making a power plant look this good, but it was the Chimney Lift that drew us in.
And truth be told, we had to go twice. It was our first and last destination of our trip. Our very first stop on this trip after we checked in to our hotel was the Battersea Power Station. The Chimney Lift was broken. And facing a situation with no reliable un-broken time or date, we left. After our time in Wales, we flew back home out of Heathrow Airport so our very last stop on this trip right before we ate our final dinner in London was also the Battersea Power Station. And this time the lift was fixed.
A ride on the Chimney Lift costs about £20. It appears based on a look this week that it's dynamically priced, although honestly, I remember it being a flat rate but maybe that's because we bought in person as walk-ups. Not sure about that.
The experience before the ride takes you through some exhibits and facts about the building and if you are so inclined you can stop and take one or two touch screen quizzes. Then there's some waiting in a waiting area and some more waiting in another spot before you get to climb some steps to the lowest level of the lift. Along the way there are facts and video animations related to the Power Station...the Chimney Lift goes up 109 meters...the building used to burn 10,000 tonnes of coal a week to generate electricity...other stuff.
Yikes on that last one by the way. And a tonne is 2,200 pounds, if you were wondering. A staggering amount of coal.
The time on the Lift itself is about 15 minutes. The view is tremendous and that includes the aerial view of Battersea itself and the other three chimneys. But you have to hustle to take it all in because before very long, you are going to be descending so they can get the next lot of Chimney Lift-ers up to the top of the northwest chimney. I'd never been in that part of London really and certainly not really up in the air (so to speak) so the view was appreciated.
Was it worth it? I'll put it this way...I wanted to go on this ride to feel a deeper connection to a band that I love and I can afford it. Sometimes, things aren't what you expect and that's OK. I think it was worth it for me. But I wouldn't necessarily want to take a family up here, especially if I had no connection (via Pink Floyd or anything else) to the building. Again, the view was awesome; it was just too short. There have been bigger disappointments on vacation before. I'm fine with the Chimney Lift.
Beyond the Chimney Lift, we got a great Pink Floyd story out of our visit. And this counts for a lot.
Maybe I knew this story and I forgot it from some Pink Floyd book I read a long, long time ago, but I swear this is a new story for me.
As much as the cover of Animals looks like a painting or drawing, it's not. It's a photograph (OK...so actually two photographs combined). That meant the Battersea Power Station actually had a giant inflatable pig floating over it while it was photographed on behalf of Roger Waters and Co.
The shoot was scheduled for three days in December of 1976 and in case the pig somehow got free (meaning broke loose from its moorings) the band or record label or whoever was coordinating the photography hired a marksman as security for the event. And by that, I mean he was supposed to shoot the pig in case it got loose.
How anyone thought this was a good idea is beyond me. I mean, bullets that go up have to come down, right? And shooting a rifle at an airborne balloon over the city of London doesn't strike me as a particularly bright thought to me.
So anyway, on day one of the shoot, the marksman shows up on a perfectly dark and gloomy day but it's too windy to feasibly take a picture of the pig so they just photograph the building. Day two comes around the marksman isn't there. They only hired him for a single day. And sure enough, it's still windy that day and the pig broke loose. Nobody to shoot it down (thank God) so it drifted, cancelling flights at Heathrow Airport to the west of the city and landing in a cow field in Kent.
They did actually manage a picture of the pig on day three, but the sky was apparently a gorgeous blue. So they took the pig from day three and stuck in on the background from day one.
That's what we got out of our trip to the Battersea Power Station. And yes, the pig was named. Algie, if you must know.
![]() |
| Battersea Power Station is really all about the chimneys. That's not really true. But it sort of is. |
This is not the first place we've traveled where we visited the site of a Pink Floyd album cover. Although it was the only place we've traveled where we intentionally visited the site of a Pink Floyd album cover.
In 2022, we were in Los Angeles (or more accurately probably greater Los Angeles) on a studio tour of the Warner Brothers property in Burbank when the driver of our tour bus / enhanced golf cart / whatever it was we were riding around in casually mentioned that the view to our right was where the cover of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here album was shot. And sure enough after I got home and compared my hastily shot iPhone picture to the cover of Floyd's 1975 album (and precursor to Animals), he was correct. Not that I really suspected he was not.
Now we've been to two of them. And honestly and completely understanding Pink Floyd's album cover collection, I can't realistically see myself ever getting to the location of a third. And if we somehow found the house where the cover of Ummagumma was shot (if it even still exists) or the field where the cover of Atom Heart Mother was created, I mean why would we even want to? I think two is good enough here.
That wraps up England and Wales for 2026. Canada up next! Again!
And this is the second post from this trip which takes its title from Pink Floyd's Animals. Enough Floyd. For now.










No comments:
Post a Comment