Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Southern Music Playlist

For years now, I've toyed with the idea of creating music playlists for some of the trips that I've taken over the last eight or so (or more, even) years. You know, location-specific tunes to listen to while we drive around discovering whatever new place it is we are exploring. Maybe albums that were recorded or written in the city, state or country where we happen to be spending a few days or week or fortnight or whatever. Or music made by the place's native sons or daughters. Or even just songs about wherever it is we happen to be. It's a good idea, right? 

always thought so, anyway.

I've never done it. 

But if there was ever a trip that called out for a need for a playlist, it was our tour of the American South, just because of the richness of musical history in that area. There's a first time for everything. This had to be done! So I made it so.

The idea was the simple part. The assembly of a list would be more complicated.

My initial idea was to make a list of 52 songs (one for each full year I've been on the planet) from my own music collection that represent to me the city of Memphis and the states of Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama with an emphasis on the four recording studios we planned to visit over the little more than a week we were spending down south. No new songs. No new purchases. Just stuff that I love and which are indisputably part of music history where we were headed.

I thought 52 was a good number but I also feared editing would be a bit of a problem on this sort of exercise, which is probably a big reason why I've never done this before. My list filled up pretty quickly and easily. I managed to find a good amount (but not too much) of music recorded in Memphis or northern Alabama or songs by artists from the places we visited. It worked. I made a couple of last minute changes but 52 came together well.

But then I thought there was some room for some extra stuff that would fit the mood of the trip (told you editing was an issue). So I added five wildcard songs that have a lot of meaning but maybe don't fit my initial criteria. 

Here's what ended up on my 52 (plus 5) song playlist. And no, I'm not writing something about every song. Or even every artist.

  • Robert Johnson: Cross Road Blues / Ramblin' On My Mind / Love In Vain
  • Sonny Boy Williamson: One Way Out / Checkin' Up On My Baby
  • Muddy Waters: Rollin' Stone / I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man / Standing Around Crying
  • Elmore James: The Sky Is Crying / Dust My Broom
  • B.B. King: It's My Own Fault / Help The Poor
  • Willie Nelson Featuring B.B. King: The Thrill Is Gone

So much of the story of American music started in Mississippi so it seems like the logical place to start my playlist. Without blues being sung by black musicians who were sons and daughters of sharecroppers who were sons and daughters of slaves, there might not be any rock and roll today. Black families fed up with a life of perpetual poverty and effective indentured servitude headed north along Highway 61 to Chicago, some to work in factories in the city and some to seek their fortunes making music. Some of those that didn't make it all the way to Chicago stopped and stuck in Memphis. 

All the artists above were born in Mississippi with the exception of Willie Nelson; I felt that Willie and B.B.'s version of "The Thrill Is Gone" would add another classic voice into the mix on my playlist. Sonny Boy Williamson and Muddy Waters are more famous as Chess Records (out of Chicago) artists, but Sonny Boy was instrumental in broadcasting music across the Mississippi Delta through his King Biscuit Time radio station broadcast out of Helena, Arkansas on radio station KFFA to black and white kids everywhere the signal would reach.

The most legendary of these musicians has to be Robert Johnson, an itinerant and ordinary guitar player who disappeared from Mississippi only to return as the most important blues musician of his time (and perhaps ever). That astonishing transformation led some folks to speculate that Johnson had sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads of Routes 49 and 61 in exchange for his talent. Johnson didn't dispute the story for as long as he lived. Which wasn't long. He died at age 27, which likely helped keep the crossroads mythology alive.

  • Jackie Brenston with His Delta Cats: Rocket "88" 
  • B.B. King: B.B. Blues
  • Howlin' Wolf: How Many More Years
  • Elvis Presley: That's All Right / Good Rockin' Tonight
  • Johnny Cash: Cry, Cry, Cry / Guess Things Happen That Way / Ballad Of A Teenage Queen
  • Jerry Lee Lewis: Great Balls Of Fire / Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
  • Live: I Walk The Line
First stop on our trip: Memphis, home of the blues and the birthplace of rock and roll. Its location at the north end of the the Mississippi delta (and within reach of KFFA's signal) allowed black musicians a place to play and make money and white kids to steal that music and transform it into something different which eventually would become rock and roll. I don't use "steal" in a judgmental way there because much of the history of rock and roll is adapting what those before you laid down as a foundation. But it was stealing.

All the tracks above were recorded at Sam Phillips' Sun Studio (or Memphis Recording Service as it was known before Phillips re-branded it) with the exception of "I Walk The Line" by Live. I think it was important to strike a little bit of a balance between the Jackie Brenston / B.B. King / Howlin' Wolf tracks and the later Sun tracks recorded by white musicians. All of them are excellent. If there's a regret here, it's that I didn't put B.B. King's "3 O'Clock Blues" on the playlist because I think it's far superior to "B.B. Blues". However, I didn't own it and so didn't include it. In fact, I still don't.

So about that Live track...

Live's version of Johnny Cash's "I Walk The Line" was pulled from the Good Rockin' Tonight: The Legacy of Sun Records album. My dad bought that album for me for Christmas years and years ago and features artists I love re-recording songs originally recorded at Sun Studio. It's an awesome album which would be even awesome-er if I could lop off the Kid Rock track at the end. Not because his version of "Drinkin' Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee" is a bad song but just because I object to all things Kid Rock. The best track on the album is Live's interpretation of "I Walk The Line". It's sinister and mean and I love it. Had to put that song on the playlist despite the fact it wasn't actually recorded in Memphis. Sometimes you have to bend the rules.

  • Booker T and The MGs: Green Onions
  • William Bell: You Don't Miss Your Water / Any Other Way 
  • Sam And Dave: Hold On! I'm Comin' / Soul Man
  • Eddie Floyd: Knock On Wood
  • Johnny Daye: What'll I Do For Satisfaction
  • Otis Redding: Respect / I've Been Loving You Too Long / (Sittin' On) The Dock Of the Bay
  • Albert King: Born Under A Bad Sign / Laundromat Blues
There were two great record labels in Memphis in the 1950s and 1960s: Sun Studio downtown and Stax Records on the south side of town. Sun gets 11 tracks on the playlist; Stax gets 12. It's not a competition. It just worked out that way. But it does speak to the strength of Stax's catalog and my love for parts of that catalog that there are more Stax tracks than Sun. 

My favorite Stax artist is Albert King. There's no question about it. His voice and his guitar playing are so smooth and completely unlike anyone else. I could have stuck his entire Born Under A Bad Sign album (which is really just a collection of singles) on the playlist and been happy. But there had to be cuts, so Albert ends up with just two tracks. Stax was a family through and through. If you need any proof of that, look no further than the authors of the titial song of Albert King's album: William Bell and Booker T. Jones, who also have tracks on the playlist.

Two other notes about the Stax portion of my playlist. First, Otis Redding is just incredible. Among all the young deaths in music history, Otis' has to be one of the least well known. 26 years old. And he was just getting warmed up. Second, there is no situation that I wouldn't listen to the two Sam and Dave tracks on this list. These two songs always make me feel better.

  • Aretha Franklin: I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You / Do Right Woman, Do Right Man
  • Wilson Pickett: Mustang Sally
  • The Rolling Stones: Brown Sugar / Wild Horses / You Gotta Move
  • Paul Simon: Loves Me Like A Rock / Kodachrome
The Muscle Shoals portion of my playlist could have been a lot longer, but unlike Sun and Stax, most of the artists who recorded at FAME Studios and the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio were not from one of the states we visited. So I decided to just crop it at the best of the best.

Because they ended up on two of my favorite albums ever (with Sticky Fingers being THE favorite ever), I elected to include every song recorded by Aretha Franklin and The Rolling Stones on my playlist. But if there's a favorite story about an artist traveling to Muscle Shoals to record some music, it's Paul Simon visiting there in 1973 to record one song for his There Goes Rhymin' Simon album.

Simon booked four days in Muscle Shoals to record his song "Take Me To The Mardi Gras" with the black musicians he had heard on the Staple Singers' Be Altitude: Respect Yourself album. He got surprised twice in Muscle Shoals: once when he found out none of the musicians he heard on the album he loved were black and again when the band nailed his song in a half a day. He ended up recording half his album in the studio with the leftover time. I think it's worth watching the Youtube video of the four band members discussing Simon's visit. The link is here

Robert Johnson's grave, Little Missionary Baptist Church, Greenwood, Mississippi.
  • Hank Williams: You Win Again
  • The Band: Ophelia
  • Pine Hill Haints: Trains Have No Names
There is not a lot of music made by artists from Alabama and Arkansas in my music collection. But we were spending some time driving through those states so I thought it was important to include at least some music made by folks from those two states. 

The Pine Hill Haints are my favorite all time band from Alabama. You likely don't know their music. I met them in a bar below a record store (the bar was appropriately called The Basement) in Nashville in 2006. Their approach to music, which included heavy washboard and washtub bass action on most all their songs, intrigued me and I ended up buying a few of their albums which I still pull out and listen to way more than I listen to a lot of other music in my collection.  And when I say "met them" I really mean that. I was talking football while watching a preseason game with some dude at the bar when I was waiting for the show to start. That dude turned out to be Jamie Barrier, who is the lead singer and guitarist. 

I also knew that any playlist that was meant for a trip to Arkansas had to include at least one track sung by Levon Helm in The Band. "Ophelia" is perhaps my favorite track by The Band. I find it to be one of their most musical tracks and it's for sure my favorite Levon Helm vocal. Easy choice on that one.

Hank Williams made the cut because has Alabama produced a more influential musician? I tried to pick a track that was not too denigrating towards his wife, as most of his songs were.

Beale Street at night, Memphis.

  • Elvis Presley: Jailhouse Rock / Suspicious Minds
  • Dusty Springfield: Son Of A Preacher Man / Willie & Laura Mae Jones
  • Big Star: In The Street
For the last five of my original 52 songs on my playlist, I went back to Memphis for more Elvis, one song off Big Star's #1 Album record (which is renowned by musicians but I can't for the life of me see the genius of the album) and two tracks by Dusty Springfield.

It is difficult for me to describe how incredible Dusty In Memphis is. On the first play, it sounds like it belongs on an easy listening station that only people old enough to be my parents would really listen to. I first bought this album on reputation sometime in the 1990s I'm guessing and one day started listen to it a few years later. The sexiness and sultriness set against the hot, sticky South where it was recorded lingers on every track. It is desire, it is forbidden, it is desperate, it is seductive. It never gets old. It's one of the most incredible collection of songs I've ever heard. I've consistently maintained that if I could have only five albums to listen to for the rest of my life they would be Sticky Fingers (The Rolling Stones), Abbey Road (The Beatles), a Mark Knopfler album, a Bob Dylan album (my preference on the Knopfler and Dylan albums keeps shifting) and Dusty In Memphis. It is that good.

Perhaps obviously, Dusty In Memphis was recorded in the Bluff City, specifically at Chips Moman's now long gone American Music Studio. To be more accurate here, I guess I should say that the instrumental tracks were recorded in Memphis. Dusty couldn't sing in Memphis. Just couldn't do it. Stage fright or shyness or whatever. Her vocals were recorded in New York.

The most famous song on this album is Dusty's version of "Son of a Preacher Man". The other song on my playlist, "Willie & Laura Mae Jones" was not on the original album, but it was on the expanded edition I fell in love with when I really got into the album. I think it's the most southern track on the deluxe edition so I included it on my playlist, even though it was not recorded in Memphis at all. I cheated with Live's "I Walk The Line". I'm cheating here too.

Real Deal Cowboy Neal, King's Palace Cafe, Memphis. Sometimes the best blues is found in an alley.
The living room at Graceland. The stained glass peacocks are amazing. Seriously!

  • Bob Dylan: Only A Pawn In Their Game
  • Neil Young: Southern Man
  • Paul Simon: Graceland
  • Depeche Mode: Personal Jesus
  • U2: Pride (In The Name Of Love)
So this is my "plus five" list. Five songs that are completely relevant to the area of the country we visited while also being written and recorded by artists who have little to no historical connection to the deep South.

The Dylan and U2 tracks are both about assassinations of Civil Rights leaders. "Only A Pawn In Their Game" is about the driveway slaying of Civil Rights activist Medgar Evers in Mississippi in 1963. I find this song a little strange because while Dylan is (appropriately) pointing the finger of blame at the politicians who were convincing poor uneducated whites to kill for them, it sounds like he's absolving the man who pulled the trigger of responsibility. U2's "Pride" is about the killing of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. on the balcony of the Lorraine Motel in Memphis.

"Graceland" and "Personal Jesus" are both on this list because of Elvis. "Graceland" is about a man feeling compelled to visit Elvis Presley's home, Graceland, but it's really about the dissolution of his marriage. There are some awesome lines in the song that represent the area of the country in just magical ways ("The Mississippi delta is shining like a national guitar"). Depeche Mode took their inspiration from a Priscilla Presley penned memoir about her time with Elvis. Elvis is her "Personal Jesus".

Finally, I couldn't add five songs to my playlist and not add Neil Young's "Southern Man". It is a scathingly accurate condemnation of how the southern states kept black men on the bottom rung of society through an institutionalized system of violent intimidation and frequent lynchings. It (along with Young's equally scathing "Alabama") caused Lynyrd Skynyrd to pen "Sweet Home Alabama" in response and in defense of the South. As much as I love Skynyrd's music and particularly their first two albums, Neil Young is in the right here.

So that's it. That's the story of the music I took with me on a trip to explore the Civil Rights Movement. This was a lot of work and I'm not sure I'm making a trip-specific playlist again any time soon. But it was probably the right trip to do this for the first time. And never say never again. 

How We Did It

We ended up visiting a lot of music sites in our 10 days in the American South. I've discussed some of them in my post about the four studios we visited but I thought it would be worth writing down the others we stopped by to pay our respects (literally in some cases) to some of the artists that I put on this playlist.

First of all...yes, we went to Graceland. It's overblown, far too self-important and way too expensive (the cheapest ticket to get inside Graceland is $75!!!!) but it had to be done. I visited way back in 2006 and it was nothing like this. We met someone later that same week who blamed it all on Lisa-Marie. Maybe that's true. I guess if you can get people to pay that much, go for it. But it is ridiculously priced. The property is open daily (wouldn't you be if you could get at least $75 from every visitor?) and the website encourages you to purchase tickets in advance. We didn't and did just fine, but we were also visiting at the tail end (maybe) of the COVID-19 pandemic. I'm deliberately not including a link to the Graceland website.

To get the complete Elvis experience, we also visited the Elvis Presley Birthplace in Tupelo, Mississippi. I think it's worth a stop if you are in the area. Admission to Elvis' first home and birthplace, his original (relocated) church and a museum are all separately priced at $9 each, although there's a discount if you buy admission to more than one of the buildings. We visited the home only and it took about five minutes. You can walk the property for free and if you don't care that much about seeing two rooms of a 1930s shotgun shack, you can probably save the $9 each and still have just as good an experience as we did.

We spent one long day elsewhere in Mississippi which included stops at three music-related sites. We stopped by the crossroads of Routes 61 and 49 on the way down to Indianola, Mississippi to visit the B.B. King Museum and Delta Interpretive Center. If you can't find the crossroads, plug Abe's Bar-B-Q into the directions app of your choice; it's right next to the crossroads itself (we actually parked in their parking lot). I'd completely recommend a visit to the B.B. King Museum. B.B. was such an awesome human being but the museum also conveys really well what it was like to be a sharecropper in Mississippi between the two world wars. 

In between the crossroads and B.B. King's Museum, we stopped at the likely grave of Robert Johnson. I say likely because there are multiple sites out there that claim to be the last resting place of Johnson. Based on my research, the one at the Little Missionary Baptist Church in Greenwood, Mississippi seemed to be the most credible. The grave is towards the back of the cemetery, which sits to the left of the church itself. Look for the collection box next to the grave under a pecan tree. There is a sign describing Johnson's life at the entrance to the driveway to the property. That sign also describes a visit made by Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant to the site. Can you imagine driving around rural Mississippi looking for Johnson's grave and finding Robert Plant hanging out there when you arrived? 

Finally, some words about Beale Street. While pulling our itinerary together for this trip, I read some information online about the poor quality of music on Beale Street and that you might be better off going elsewhere in Memphis to hear some live music. While I agree that you might have to search a bit for the specific type of music you want to listen to, I found the quality of the music to be no different than what I listened to on my prior two trips to Memphis. And I found the music to be excellent on all three trips, although admittedly I found some venues to be less than satisfactory. If I were heading back to Memphis any time soon, I'd head straight for the outdoor venue at King's Palace Cafe and the indoor Blues City Band Box. I would avoid B.B. King's Blues Club (too many covers of classic rock rather than blues songs) and Rum Boogie Cafe (the bands here have not matched the quality I've found elsewhere on Beale Street). But there IS good music to be found on Beale Street.


No comments:

Post a Comment